Wednesday 17 March 2010

Hail Glorious Saint Patrick!

I recall, from the days of my youth, the hymn "Hail Glorious Saint Patrick" sung to the tune "Clonmacnoise" arranged by RR Terry. It was number 136 in the old Westminster Hymnal and a thing of rare beauty. Alas - in my opinion - the organist was prevailed upon to substitute the more frequently heard alternative tune "because" the parish priest said, "it is the one all the Irish know". Am I the only one, I wonder, who finds the favoured tune with its repetitions of "Erin's green valleys" somewhat mawkish? I have tried to find a recording of the Terry tune but without success. Perhaps someone in the blogosphere can help?

1 comment:

  1. Here is the scan of the hymnal:
    http://www.ccwatershed.org/media/pdfs/16/03/07/16-45-38_0.pdf
    So all that you need to do is get someone to play it for you if you cannot for yourself.

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete