Monday 20 April 2009

Witnesses to the truth

When Pope John Paul came to Britain in 1982 he made what I fear was a serious mistake in that he complimented the English clergy upon the practice of visiting their parishioners in their homes. At the time it made my ears prick up, not least because I could recall priests who had been assiduous in this respect. A mistake, then? Well, yes, I reckon so because I imagine them sitting there, listening to the pope's words and hearing the implication that by visiting they were being somehow exceptional ("What? You mean Catholic priests don't normally do this the world over?") and that, therefore, it wouldn't be unduly serious if they stopped visiting. As a matter of fact I would have a lot of sympathy having on more than one occasion heard priests complain of homes where the television remained on at full volume throughout the visit. Nevertheless in less sympathetic moments I have wondered what they do instead. Of course! They visit the sick and take Communion to them.

I said as much to someone recently only to be contradicted with the observation that all these Extraordinary Ministers of Communion do that now. Perhaps, but not exclusively so, was my reply. I am particularly aware of the times my father's Parish Priest attended to him in his last few months (and, indeed, of the support given by two Extraordinary Ministers of Communion). The work of priests, apart from the very obvious aspects like celebrating mass or hearing confessions, tends to go unremarked until it concerns oneself.

But now, shock! horror! we learn that some of them are blogging! Is it allowed? Surely it shouldn't be! Isn't it a sin? Should celibates... what do you call it?...blog? Where's the Inquisition when you need them? Call in the secular arm!

It seems to me that the priest bloggers are actually doing is what the priests of old did when they went visiting their parishioners. It is quite simply forming links and connections that help to build up the Church- the mystical body of Christ. Here too we all have a part to play as salt of the earth, leaven in the dough or light of the world. There is so much in the world today that is antipathetic to the faith and opposed to truth. Sharing faith and witnessing to the truth were never more needed.

2 comments:

  1. Absolutely! ANd they have a worldwide audience too. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! California! I mean gosh! I say! I had better watch what I say!

    ReplyDelete